My earlier post about how to dye hair red or ginger was very popular. I’m often asked which are the best red hair dyes for dying your hair red at home so I’ve scoured the high street to create a list of the dyes available. The great news is that redheads are in fashion and there are far more red dyes than there used to be.
Which shade of red should I choose?
To make it easier to choose a dye, I’ve listed them according to the L’Oreal majeril colour chart. This shows the colours available based on your base colour.
Blondes = shades 10-7,
Ginger = 8-6,
Brunettes = shades 6-3,
Black = 2-1
My natural red hair has lots of brown so my base colour is 7. You have two choices – either add copper tones (to dye it ginger) or red tones (to dye it red).
Please note I am NOT a hairdresser so please read the instructions and check with a professional before using any dyes if you’re unsure, this is just to help see what shades are available across different brands.
Hair dye for ginger hair / redheads
1. If your natural hair colour is bleached, light blonde or strawberry blonde (shade 9, 10) and you want to dye your hair bright ginger
9.0 Fiery Copper – Live Ultra Brights: Great on blonde or pre-bleached hair.
Outrageous Orange – Superdrug Ultra Brights: try going bright orange if you’re blonde or lighten and brighten if you’re ginger.
Washed Out Orange – Bleach London: semi permanent, lasts 2-10 washes on bleached hair.
2. If your natural hair colour is bleached, light blonde or strawberry blonde (shade 9, 10) and you want to dye your hair bright red
9.2 Pillarbox Red – Live Ultra Brights
Rebellious Red – Superdrug Ultra Brights: lasts 6-8 washes, ideal if you want to try going bright red.
3. If your natural hair colour is blonde, strawberry blonde or light ginger (shade 8,9, 10) and you want to dye your hair red or ginger
8.45 Fire Red – Superdrug Vibrance: permanent, deep red
8.34 Rich Copper Gold – Superdrug Vibrance: permanent deep ginger
8 Medium Red Blonde – Nice N’Easy Perfect 10: A more natural option
4. If your natural hair colour is a dark blonde or ginger (shade 7) and you want to dye your hair ginger or red
7.8 Paprika Power – L’oreal Feria
7.64 Intense Copper – Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Colour
7.64 Copper Blonde – Garnier Nutrisse Creme
7.6 Pure Spice – L’Oreal Feria
7.5 Ravishing Red – Superdrug Vibrance
7.44 Hot Red – Superdrug Vibrance
7.4 Intense Red – Superdrug Radiance
7.4 Intense Mango Copper – L’Oreal Feria, Permanent
7.4 Mango Copper Burst – Superdrug Vibrance
7.4 Intense Copper Blond – Garnier Olia
5. If your natural colour is dark ginger or brunette (shade 6) and you want a deep red or ginger shade:
6.7 Pure Scarlet – L’Oreal Feria
6.66 Babylon Intense Red – L’Oreal Recital Preference
6.6 Fiery Red – Garnier Nutrisse
6.6 Intense Red – Garnier Nutrisse
6.46 Light Copper Red – L’Oreal Excellence Creme
6.45 Amber – L’Oreal Casting Creme Gloss
6. If your natural hair colour is dark brunette / brown (shade 5) and you want to add red or ginger tones.
5.65 Berry Red - L’Oreal Casting Creme Gloss
5.62 Vibrant Red – Garnier Nutrisse
5.6 Red Hot Chilli - L’Oreal Feria
7. If your natural colour is dark brown or black (shade 4,3,2) and you want to add a deep red or ginger tone.
4.6 Deep Red – Garnier Olia
4.6 Deep Red – Garnier Nutrisse
3.66 Dark Red – L’Oreal Recital Preference
3.6 Deep Reddish Brown – Garnier Nutrisse Creme
2.6 Dark Cherry – Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color
Have you tried any of these? Let me know! Any favourites?